Following a fast-moving investigation and manhunt, British police on Saturday arrested a second man in connection with a detonation on the London subway during the Friday morning rush hour, in which at least 30 people were injured. Police labeled the attack terrorism.
The man, 21, was arrested just before midnight Saturday in West London. Police did not announce his detention until Sunday morning.
Earlier, an 18-year-old man had been arrested by Kent police in the port area of Dover on the English Channel. Police suspect he might have been seeking a boat out of England.
In addition, armed police raided and searched a house in Sunbury, west of London, on Saturday afternoon. Counterterrorism units were at the scene, and police told reporters the operation was connected to the subway explosion.
A homemade bomb exploded on a London subway train at Parsons Green station Friday morning, sending a scorching blast of flame and smoke through a London subway car.
Home Secretary Amber Rudd told the BBC on Sunday that the second arrest suggested the attack was not the work of a “lone wolf” terrorist and implied some level of conspiracy.
On Saturday, Rudd said Saturday that it was “good fortune” the improvised explosive device “did so little damage,” but she said that the materials used to build the bomb were too readily available.
“We have to make certain we take all the steps we can to ensure that the sort of materials this man was able to collect become more and more difficult to combine together,” she said.
Deputy Assistant Police Commissioner Neil Basu called the arrest of the teen at the Dover port “significant” and said the investigation is ongoing.
Both men are being held for questioning under the Terrorism Act. “For strong investigative reasons, we will not give any more details on the man we arrested at this stage,” Basu said, speaking of the teen.
(c) 2017, The Washington Post · William Booth, Rick Noack