Mid Hudson News reports: Two Hatzolah emergency services members who responded to a call for an individual in diabetic shock at Woodridge Village Hall Wednesday night were ticketed by the police chief for using red emergency lights as they pulled up to the scene. State law allows the use of those lights when EMS personnel are responding to an emergency.
Police Chief John Calvello could not be reached for comment on Thursday.
Since then, Hatzolah CEO Rabbi David Cohen told MidHudsonNews.com that he has been informed by a village official that the tickets will be dismissed, but, that is not enough.
“We need a statement from the village saying it was a mistake and won’t happen again,” he said. “We’re not looking for vindictiveness here; we’re looking for validation that what we are doing is proper and that we’re helping people throughout the mountains on a daily basis, on an hourly basis.”
Cohen noted that earlier this week, Hatzolah saved a boy when he nearly drowned in a summer camp pool nearby.
Mayor Louis Saperstein could not be reached for comment.
The Jewish community from Sullivan County to Brooklyn is outraged by the incident with many expressing their views on blogs.
Source: MID HUDSON NEWS