Following the tragic fire that took the lives of seven children in Midwood, Assemblyman Dov Hikind (D-Brooklyn) and The Home Depot will be distributing free state-of-the-art smoke detectors to members of the community who need them.
“When a disaster of this magnitude strikes the community, everyone is deeply affected,” said Hikind. “Following the shock and the profound sadness, our next response was to ask, ‘How can we help?’
“The Home Depot has stepped up by generously offering community members who need one a free smoke detector. These units will contain ten-year batteries. Together, we are encouraging everyone to have smoke detectors properly installed to protect their families, to check the batteries of these smoke detectors regularly to assure that they are working properly, and to take all necessary steps towards fire-prevention to ensure the safety of all of our loved ones.
“I was profoundly moved by the words of Mr. Sassoon at the memorial service for his children. Mr. Sassoon reminded all of us to love our children and to demonstrate that love. Taking the steps necessary to protect our homes-taking the time and effort and spending a few dollars-is the least we can do to demonstrate that love.
“The Home Depot has our community’s sincere thanks for taking the time, effort and expense to help protect lives.”
“It is an honor for The Home Depot to help make a difference,” said Steven Elkin, The Home Depot NY Metro Pro Manager. “We’re delighted to help the community,” added Ronald Oddo, The Home Depot District Manager, NY Metro.