Hikind Mourns Gluck Family; Implores Community To Get Smoke Detectors


NY State Assemblyman Dov Hikind is calling the fire that took the lives of Chaim and Faigy Gluck in Boro Park a tragedy that contains a wake-up call for the entire community. He explained that FDNY officials are now reporting that there were no smoke detectors in the house to warn of the flames that would soon spread and cause the heart-breaking tragedy.

“Our entire community is in mourning for Chaim and Faigy Gluck,” said Assemblyman Hikind. “We experience a profound sense of loss when we lose a neighbor, a member of our community, and it’s even worse when it happens tragically. My thoughts and prayers are with their 19-year-old daughter who was miraculously rescued by our brave and wonderful firefighters.

“But this tragedy should also serve as a wake-up call to everyone. It is too easy to become complacent and not take note of the dangers all around us. G-d runs the world, but we must also do everything in our power to avoid tragedies like these, and one of those things is having working smoke alarms. These inexpensive alarms are a must—and just having them isn’t sufficient. You must check them, make sure that they have batteries and are working.

“I hope everyone will take the time to immediately review the state of their own homes. Look for where dangers may occur; look at appliances that may cause fires and where they are in relation to flammable objects. The fire department offers guidelines that are worth reviewing. No one ever thinks a tragedy will occur to them, but this is the time of year when we take stock of ourselves, so let’s take stock of our homes, too. Diligence saves lives.”



  1. I thought no working fire detector was a black problem. Why didn’t NOPJ warn everyone or robocalls? The Worst thing is that we are now a shanda far dir goyinm. Hashim yishmore, because we can’t seems to do anything write.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here