As signs of a potential deal-breaker emerge in the nuclear talks between Iran and world powers, a senior Iranian nuclear negotiator suggested that the talks could go beyond the June 30 deadline for a final agreement.
“We are not at the point where we can say that negotiations will be completed quickly—they will continue until the deadline and could continue beyond that,” senior Iranian negotiator Abbas Araghchi said, the state-run news agency IRNA reported.
“We are trying to have a good agreement with all the details meeting our expectations,” Araghchi added.
Recently, there have been signs of a possible deal-breaker in the negotiations over access to military sites by international nuclear inspectors. Last week, Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei ruled out access to military sites.
“The impudent and brazen enemy expects that we allow them to talk to our scientists and researchers about a fundamental local achieve but no such permission will be allowed,” Khamenei said on Iranian state TV.
France, which has taken a hardline stance during the negotiations, warned that it is ready to block a final nuclear deal unless Iran allows complete access to all relevant sites, including military installations.
“France will not accept [a deal] if it is not clear that inspections can be done at all Iranian installations, including military sites,” French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius told French lawmakers on Wednesday, Reuters reported.