The Al Jazeera network reported on Thursday evening that an Egyptian-brokered ceasefire had been reached between Hamas and Israel and added that it came into effect at 10:45 p.m.
An Israeli official said Hamas has been asking for a ceasefire since Thursday morning, but the IDF continued attacking significant targets.
According to IDF data, more than 180 rocket and mortar launches from Gaza into Israeli territory have been identified since Wednesday night.
Hamas was quick to point out that the agreement merely ends the latest two-day burst of violence between Israel and Hamas and added that Egypt would continue efforts to broker a long-term cease-fire.
Sderot Mayor Alon Davidi said Friday that the reported ceasefire is a mistake.
“I understand the desire of the government to enter into negotiations, but Israel must end the terror with military assistance. This on and off war is unhealthy,” Davidi said.
Read more at Arutz Sheva.