Both Israel and Gaza factions have agreed to extend the current ceasefire by another five days. The threat of renewed war in Gaza loomed today as the clock ticked towards the end of a three-day ceasefire at midnight.
Since roughly 10 p.m., Gaza terrorists have fired over five rockets at Israel, breaking the ceasefire two hours before it was set to expire, Israel has responded by hitting at least four targets in Gaza. Cabinet minister who spoke with Ynet said that they have not been updated by the prime minister, and expressed anger at Netanyahu.
Head of the Palestinian delegation, Azzam al-Ahmed, confirmed the report, and said that despite contradictory reports regarding the fate of the talks, the sides to give talks more time, thus choosing to extend the lull by an additional three days.
“We have agreed on a cease-fire for five days,” said al-Ahmed, noting that there had been “significant progress” but that disagreements remained over the wording regarding security arrangements, reconstruction efforts for the Gaza Strip and the permissible fishing area.
Senior Hamas official and member of the Palestinian envoy in Cairo, Izzat al-Rishq, took to Twitter late Wednesday night saying, “The ceasefire has been extended by 72 additional hours in order to continue the discussions.”
The Palestinian team expects to head to Ramallah on Thursday for consultations with Fatah leader Mahmoud Abbas, before returning to Egypt on Saturday to resume talks, several Palestinian officials said. Read more at Ynet.