A body has been found in the rubble of last week’s East Village building explosion, police said.
The body, which was recovered this afternoon, has not been identified or moved, police said. Two men went missing Thursday when a blast and fire leveled three apartment buildings on Second Avenue at East Seventh Street.
Emergency workers had been painstakingly looking for signs of the two missing people, scooping through piles of loose brick, wood and debris with their hands and using dogs to search the rubble. Authorities acknowledged the chances of finding either person alive were slim.
Twenty-two people were injured in the explosion, officials said.
Detectives had issued posters seeking information on the whereabouts of the men believed to have been in the sushi restaurant on the ground floor of one of the collapsed buildings: 26-year-old Moises Lucon, who worked at the restaurant, and 23-year-old Nicholas Figueroa, a bowling alley worker who had been there.
Read more at CBS NEW YORK.