It is with great sadness that Matzav.com reports the passing of Rabbi Avrohom Kelman, founder of Bnos Leah Prospect Park Yeshiva and mara d’asra of the Prospect Park Jewish Center, both located in Flatbush, Brooklyn. He was 96 years old.
Rabbi Kelman passed away on Shabbos.
In the 1940s, Rabbi Kelman served as the rov of Congregation Bais Yehuda in Toronto and as an army chaplain during World War II.
Rabbi Kelman, a trailblazer and visionary, represented an eloquent equation in yeshiva education. He was acknowledged by preeminent educators and Torah leaders worldwide for his prescience 50 years ago in establishing an outpost of chinuch in the Flatbush area of Brooklyn.
In 1952, he assumed leadership of Prospect Park Jewish Center and founded Prospect Park Yeshiva. Together with a dynamic group of baalei batim, Rabbi Kelman first established the Elementary Division of Prospect Park Yeshiva. From inception, the school’s focus was to develop a well-rounded, expressive individual, strengthened with yiras Shomayim and deeply rooted Torah hashkafos.
The school, which since 1962 – the first graduation – made the singular commitment to educating girls exclusively, from pre-school through post-high school, assumed a leading position in our Torah community. Prospect Park Yeshiva has produced talmidos who are role models of authentic Torah living throughout the world.
The levaya took place on Sunday at the Prospect Park Yeshiva in Flatbush, followed by kevurah at the Wellwood Cemetery in Farmingdale.
Yehi zichro boruch.