Some Streets Still Remain Closed In Area Of Deadly Tribeca Crane Collapse As Mayor Mandates Safety Reforms


Some streets remain closed this morning following last week’s deadly crane collapse in Tribeca as a series of reforms to try and prevent another tragedy go into effect, CBS NEW YORK reports.

Starting today, the city is implementing a four-point plan that would include restrictions on crawler cranes.

“No building is worth a person’s life,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said. “We are going to ensure the record boom in construction and growth does not come at the expense of safety.”

The plan mandates workers to put cranes in safety mode when high winds are forecast and to send advisories under those conditions. De Blasio also called for more sidewalk protection for pedestrians and said a crane safety task force is also being created.

The Department of Buildings will also raise the fine for failure to comply with regulations from $4,800 to $10,000.

Meanwhile, the final pieces of the nearly 600-foot crane have been dismantled and carted away as the investigation into what went wrong continues. Friday’s windy, snowy weather is being looked at as a possible factor.

“The manufacturer clearly indicated that when you have those kinds of winds, the crane needs to be put in safety mode and that’s what they were doing,” Buildings Department Commissioner Rick Chandler said.

The collapse happened just before 8:30 a.m. Friday on Worth Street near Church Street as the crew was lowering the crane due to high winds, claiming the life of David Wichs z”l. Three others were injured. CBS NEW YORK