The Danger of ‘Purim’ Fireworks and Explosives

27

firecrackerinjurysmallMatzav.com would like to remind all readers of the dangers of dangerous fireworks and explosives often purchased by children and teens before Purim.

To accentuate just how dangerous they can be, note that two years ago, a frum boy lost five fingers after playing with a Purim firecracker. The 14-year-old boy was injured after a Purim firecracker he was holding exploded, tearing five fingers off his hand and launching shrapnel into his face. A Magen Dovid Adom team evacuated the Israeli boy to the Soroka Medical Center in Beer Sheva, where the boy admitted to the medical crew that the firecracker went off during an attempt to increase its force.

A photo of a real firecracker injury. Venishmartem me'od lenafshoseichem.
A photo of a real firecracker injury. Venishmartem me'od lenafshoseichem.

Following that incident, MDA Director-General Eli Bin called upon parents to prevent their children from purchasing dangerous explosives that could cause severe handicaps such as that day’s incident, “or even worse.”

In other Purim warnings, parents should be aware of dangers inherent in graggers. Two years ago, a serrated plastic wheel from a gragger that was handed out to children in a nursery school seriously endangered a three-year-old girl, Ayala Levy, who was saved by a gastroscopy under general anesthesia at Kaplan Medical Center in Rechovot, Israel.

Shmaya, the girl’s father, said that soon after the graggers were handed out, Ayala began to chew it and the small part dislodged itself into her mouth. The nursery school teacher quickly called for Magen David Adom medics, who gave her first aid and rushed her to the hospital.

Dr. Michal Corey, a pediatric gastroenterologist at Kaplan, said Ayala arrived vomiting and complaining of pain in her neck and throat. She underwent imaging, and the piece of plastic was found stuck in her esophagus and preventing the entrance of food. Under general anesthesia in the operating room, the child underwent a gastroscopy, in which an optic fiber is introduced into the body to view inside. Corey managed to pull the two-centimeter plastic disk out without having to perform a major operation. An hour later, the child was able to speak, walk, eat and run.

Her father warned all parents to pay attention to all small objects within their children’s reach, especially around Purim. They can enter not only the esophagus, but also the trachea and choke the child. Corey added that only food should be allowed to enter small children’s mouths, and even food should be sliced or chopped up into small, safe bits.

Child safety experts note that toys that have parts as small as a penny should not be within the reach of children under age four.

{Noam Amdurski for Matzav.com Global Newscenter}

27 COMMENTS

  1. Matzav, Can you please not post this gruesome picture? And especially dont post the larger blown up one. We get the point, Please consider taking the picture down.

  2. Editor, you should hide that photo and have it available as a clickable only, first warning people of the gory nature of the photo. Why must you shove such things into our faces?

  3. I think Eliezer has suggested a good idea. It is a digusting picture. You wouldnt post a picture of bloody child killed without blurring part of the picture so please do something about this picture. I cant look it and Im sure many others dont want to see it.
    A freilichen Purim to all! Be safe!

  4. To all the nieve individuals that are sickened by a gory photo, grow up. When I was 11 years old, I was exposed to the gory Holocaust photos. And I am thankful to this very day for that education. Some times we need to see horiffic pictures for different reasons. If you are old enough to be on the internet, you are certainly old enough to see a warning picture of potential danger.

  5. Why must you shove such things into our faces?

    To jolt you out of your comfortable complacency, Eliezer. Sometimes the truth is brutal.

  6. Kudos to the editor for posting the picture.

    “We get the point” “Why must you shove such things into our faces?”

    Because A picture is worth a thousand words. Show the picture to your kids and let them know exactly how it happened.
    You may just be saving a life

  7. my first day as a resident was right before july 4th and i had hand tremor like this this is no joke people but drinking is way up there keep your sons away from buzz it to can kill

  8. This is a disgusting picture! Please take it down! I cant look at matzav today because of this picture. It makes me sick. Its way too grusome for your site.

  9. This is an inappropriate photo. You will never find such a picture on any website without a bold warning that contains graphic images. People get the point even without the pic. Noone needs/ wants to throw up

  10. What do you think is better, to have a kids hand blow off from fireworks, or for a kid see how dangerous it is to play with fireworks.

  11. please please do me a favor and remove this picture! i literally felt faint (and still do) after just a glimpse of it.
    And in the future please post a warning for those of us who would rather not see such graphic details.

  12. I JUST GOT SICK LOOKING AT THE PICTURE AND WHEN IT BLEW UP AT ME AND GOT BIGGER THAT WAS DISGUSTING. I FEEL THAT YOU MUST MENTION PRIOR TO PEOPLE SEEING IT THAT THIS IS A GRAPHIC PICTURE AND ONLY OPEN IF YOU CAN STOMACH GRUESOME PICTURES. HOWEVER THE MESSAGE IS CLEAR AND ALL PEOPLE , YOUNG AND OLD MUST STAY AWAT FROM FIRECRACKERS
    HAVE A FREILICHEN SIMCHADIK AND WONDERFUL PURIM
    WITHOUT UNSAFE BEHAVIOR AND MAY WE ALL SE THE GEULA SHELAYMA SHORTLY IN OUR TIME BIMHEIRO BEYOMEINU AMEN !!

  13. the reason why they MUST shove these things into our faces is so that they can save someone’s life/finger/hand…

  14. You dont need the picture HUGE to show the point of the article! I’d rather my child not see that disgusting picture, just read the article and you’ll get the point! I dont want to see this picture again next year! Please listen your readers who are sick to their stomach.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here