The Danger of ‘Purim’ Fireworks and Explosives

8 would like to remind all readers of the dangers of dangerous fireworks and explosives often purchased by children and teens before Purim.

To accentuate just how dangerous they can be, note that last year, a frum boy lost five fingers after playing with a Purim firecracker. The 14-year-old boy was injured after a Purim firecracker he was holding exploded, tearing five fingers off his hand and launching shrapnel into his face.

A Magen Dovid Adom team evacuated the Israeli boy to the Soroka Medical Center in Beer Sheva, where the boy admitted to the medical crew that the firecracker went off during an attempt to increase its force.

A photo of a real firecracker injury. Venishmartem me'od lenafshoseichem.
A photo of a real firecracker injury. Venishmartem me'od lenafshoseichem.

Following that incident, MDA Director-General Eli Bin called upon parents to prevent their children from purchasing dangerous explosives that could cause severe handicaps such as that day’s incident, “or even worse.”

In other Purim warnings, parents should be aware of dangers inherent in graggers. Two years ago, a serrated plastic wheel from a gragger that was handed out to children in a nursery school seriously endangered a three-year-old girl, Ayala Levy, who was saved by a gastroscopy under general anesthesia at Kaplan Medical Center in Rechovot, Israel.

Shmaya, the girl’s father, said that soon after the graggers were handed out, Ayala began to chew it and the small part dislodged itself into her mouth. The nursery school teacher quickly called for Magen David Adom medics, who gave her first aid and rushed her to the hospital.

Dr. Michal Corey, a pediatric gastroenterologist at Kaplan, said Ayala arrived vomiting and complaining of pain in her neck and throat. She underwent imaging, and the piece of plastic was found stuck in her esophagus and preventing the entrance of food. Under general anesthesia in the operating room, the child underwent a gastroscopy, in which an optic fiber is introduced into the body to view inside. Corey managed to pull the two-centimeter plastic disk out without having to perform a major operation. An hour later, the child was able to speak, walk, eat and run.

Her father warned all parents to pay attention to all small objects within their children’s reach, especially around Purim. They can enter not only the esophagus, but also the trachea and choke the child. Corey added that only food should be allowed to enter small children’s mouths, and even food should be sliced or chopped up into small, safe bits.

Child safety experts note that toys that have parts as small as a penny should not be within the reach of children under age four.

{ Global Newscenter}


  1. Yaakov,
    That is exactly the point!
    If it wouldn’t be ‘Scary’ kids (and adults) wouldn’t get scared.
    My son would probably be tempted to play along with friends. Nut so fast, after taking a good look to comprehend the picture and it’s message!!

  2. My kids turned on Matzav just for a little while earlier, and now I can’t get that horrific photo out of my mind… it’s Purim, for heaven’s sake,remove it please. Signed,Sleepless.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here