Yahrtzeits, Friday, 15 Sivan
Birth, in 1565 BCE, and Yahrtzeit, in 1446 BCE (or 1436 BCE) of Yehuda, son of Yaakov Avinu (Midrash Tadshe).
Rav Yitzchak of Posen, the rebbe of the Magen Avraham and the author of Sheilos Uteshuvos Be’er Yitzchak (1685). A talmid of Rav Yonah Teumim (the Kikayon D’Yonah), Rav Yitzchak served as Rav in Loitsk, then succeeded Rav Moshe (the Chelkas Mechokek) as Rav of Vilna, before moving to Posen., there replacing Rav Sheftel Horowitz, the son of mthe Shelah Hakodesh.
Rav Dovid Dov Meisels of Uhel, the Binyon Dovid (1944)
Yahrtzeits, Shabbos, 16 Sivan
Rav Mordechai Menachem Kalish, of Vorke (1868). A talmid of the Kotzker Rebbe. He passed away at a young age.
Rav Shalom Eliezer Halberstam of Ratzfort, son of the Divrei Chaim (1944)
Rav Gedalyah Nadel, son of Rav Reuven Heschel Nadel, born in the Lithuanian city of Shavel (1923-2004). When he was thirteen, his parents moved to Eretz Yisrael, and made their home in Balfouria, a small settlement in the Valley of Jezreel. He became the Chazon Ish’s closest talmid. Though he never gained the prominence that some of the Hazon Ish’s other confidantes assumed with the passing of the Hazon Ish in 1953, Nadel did become the head of the Vizhnitz yeshiva. Rav Chaim Kanievsky was Rav Gedalyah’s chavrusa. At the advice of the Chazon Ish, when Rav Gedalyah was still young, he began to study in the Lomza Yeshiva in Petach Tikvah. He married the daughter of Rav Eliyahu Weiner, a student of the Chafetz Chaim.
Today in History – 15 Sivan
· The Crusaders laid siege to Yerushalayim, eventually massacaring the entire population, 1099. The reign of the Christians lasted until 1187.
· King of Poland denied the Jews of Vilna the right to deal in non-Jewish books, 1664.
· Emprisonment of the sixth Lubavitcher Rebbem Rav Yosef Yitzchak Schneerson, by the Soviet secret police for disseminating Jewish learning, 1927. He was held and tortured until his release on 12 Tammuz.
· Israeli forces crossed into Lebanon to begin “Operation Peace for Galilee,” by destroying PLO bases, 1982. Ending in 1985, the war cost 1216 Jewish lives.
Today in History – 16 Sivan
· The Pope suspended the Portuguese Inquisition due to its severe treatment of Marranos, 1679.
· The beginning of a substantial Jewish settlement in Massachusetts, 1716.
· French Marshall Petain surrenders to the Germans and leaves England alone on the front, 1940.
· French (Vichy) planes bombed Tel Aviv, 1941.