Rav Mordechai ben Hillel, the “Mordechai” (~1230-1298). A descendent of the Ravyah, he was a principle disciple of the Maharam miRottenberg, and a close friend of the Rosh. The Mordechai cites views of French and German authorities and brings the piskei halacha of the Tosefos without the discussion. He, his wife, and their five children were all burned at the stake during the Rindfleisch pogroms, when over 100,000 Jews in Bavaria and Austria were murdered, and well over 100 communities disappeared.
Rav Meir HaGadol of Premishlan. One of the closest Chasidim of the Baal Shem Tov, his grandson (also Reb Meir) became more famous than he. (1773)
Rav Eliyahu HaKohen Dushnitzer, Mashgiach of Lomza Yeshiva in Petach Tikva (1949). He authored Nachalas Eliyahu. He was involved with the famous dybuk story, which also involved the Chafetz Chaim.
Rav Shmuel Meyuchas of Yerushalayim (1771)
Today in History – 22 Av
· 16 Jews were burned to death in Toledo, Spain, 1488.
· First printing of Shulchan Aruch Orech Chaim, 1555 (in Eretz Yisrael).
· After evicting the Jews from Vienna, Leopold I sold the Jewish Quarter, which was then renamed Leopoldstadt in his honor, for 100,000 florins, 1670. The shul and the beis medrash were turned into St. Margaret’s Church.
· Joop Westerweel, Dutch poet and educator was executed by the Nazis, 1944, for helping Jews escape.
· The U.S. embassies in Nairobi and Dar es Salaam were destroyed leaving 256 dead and thousands wounded, 1998.
· 23 Jews died and over 130 were injured due to a suicide bomber in the number 2 bus leaving the Kosel and approaching Rechov Shmuel Hanavi. Among those murdered were Goldie Taubenfeld of Rockland County and the youngest of her 12 children, Shalom Mordechai Reinitz, a Rosh Mesivta in Sanz, and his 9 year old son, Yissacher Dov, Reb Chanoch Segal, a rebbi in Bnei Brak’s Toras Emes for 40 years, Mrs. Liba Schwartz, a 57 year-old wife of a dayan in Yerushalayim, Mrs. Feiga Dushinski, a 50 year-old woman who – together with her husband – would host 100 yeshiva boys every Shabbos, Mrs. Fruma Rachel Weitz, 73 years old, of Mattersdorf, Mrs. Lilach Kardi, a 22 year old whom lost her father at 12 andher mother at 18, and who adopted her younger brother, Yosef, and made his Bar Mitzvah, Menachem Leibel, a 24 year old talmid of Mir Yeshiva, Miriam Eisenstein, a 20 year old whojust graduated teachers’ seminary, Chava Nechama Rechnitzer, a 19 year old daughter of a magid shiur in Belz, Reb Shmuel Wolner, 52, who ran a sfarim shop in Meah Shearim, Binyamin Bergman, 15 years old, and Tehilla Nathanson, formerly of Monsey.