Rav Moshe Tzvi Gitterman of Savran (1775-1838). Known as a genius as a boy, he was fluent in al of Seder Nezikin at the age of twelve. He learned chassidus from Rav Levi Yitzchak of Berditchev and Rav Baruch of Mezhibuzh. After his father’s petira in 1802, he succeeded him as maggid of Savran. After the petirah of the Ohev Yisrael, he became the foremost Rebbe in all of the Ukraine. Eventually, he became the Rav of the two kehillos of Uman and Keshinov, When Rav Baruch of Mezhibuzh was niftar in 1811, Rav Moshe Tzvi took on the mantle of Admorus, officially leading Chassidim. His Divrei torah are recorded in Likutei Shoshanim.
Rav Yosef Rosen, Rav of Telshe and Slonim (1885).
Rav Eliyahu Meir Feivelsohn of Yekatrinoslav (1928)
Rav Yechiel Michel Tukatchinsky, mashgiach of Slobodka in Bnai Brak, and founder of Yeshivas Mekor Chaim in Yerushalayim. In 1925, he published a sefer called Tekufas Hachamoh Uvirchosoh, in preparation for the bracha made when the sun returns to the point at which it began upon Creation. He wrote a sefer called Bein Hashmoshos, published in 1929, which dealt with the International Date Line. In 1941, he changed his mind altogether, as documented in his sefer, Hayomam Bekadur Haaretz, in which he shows that the new day begins 12 hours to the east of Yerushalayim.
Rav Shlomo Mazuz, author of Sho’el U’meishiv Kerem Shlomo and Cheshek Shlomo (1982).
Today in History – 25 Teves
· Anti-Jewish riots in different parts of Austria, 1312 [or 1311].
· First edition of Chovos Halevavos published in Italy, 1559.
· Raphael Levy, a respected member of the Jewish community, was arrested for ritual murder libel, tortured and burned alive in an effort to have the local government expel the Jews in Metz, 1670. The effort was unsuccessful.
· A fast day declared in Frankfurt after a pogrom burnt down the Jewish quarter, 1718 [or 1717].
· The first Jewish hospital in the U.S. was founded by a group of mostly German Jewish immigrants, 1852. Originally known as Jews’ Hospital of New York, it is now called Mount Sinai Hospital.