Rav Aryeh Leib Grossnass, author of Lev Aryeh
Rav Eliyahu Meir Finkel, Nasi Yeshivas Mir, Jerusalem, and father of the current Mirrer Rosh Yeshiva, Rav Nosson Tzvi Finkel.
Rav Dovid Stavsky (1930-2004), served in the Columbus (Ohio) Jewish community for the last 47 years of his life, including as Rabbi of Beth Jacob Congregation. He graduated from Yeshiva in 1952, ordained at the RIETS in 1955, and earned a Masters degree in Psychology from The Ohio State University in 1966. Served as Chaplain in the United States Army as a First Lieutenant at Fitzsimmons Army Hospital and was the Post-Chaplain at Fort Carson in Denver, Colorado from 1955-1957. He helped found Columbus Torah Academy in 1958, led the effort to build a mikvah in Columbus in 1970, helped found the Columbus Community Kollel in 1994.
Today in History – 3 Nissan
· A decree expelling Jews form Spain and Sicily was issued, 1492.
· Jews of Prussia were granted equality, 1848.
· Ritual charges resulted in pogroms on the island of Corfu, 1891.
· In the Children’s Aktzion of 1944, Nazis raided the Kovno ghetto and removed all children for execution.
· The United States vetoed a UN Security Council resolution condemning Israel’s assassination of Hamas leader Ahmed Yassin.