Top General Contradicts Obama: ISIS ‘Not Contained’


General Joe DunfordThe nation’s top general on Tuesday contradicted the commander in chief before Congress on the status of the United States’ fight against the Islamic State.

“We have not contained ISIL.” General Joe Dunford, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff told the House Armed Services Committee.

Dunford’s testimony comes two weeks after President Obama declared the Islamic State ‘contained.’

In an ABC News interview two weeks ago, the president said: “I don’t think they’re gaining strength. From the start, our goal has been first to contain, and we have contained them. They have not gained ground in Iraq.”

“And in Syria — they’ll come in, they’ll leave. But you don’t see this systematic march by ISIL across the terrain,” he said, using an alternate acronym for ISIS.

Dunford said ISIS has been contained “tactically” in certain areas. But, the general added: “Strategically they have spread since 2010.”

Defense Secretary Ash Carter on Tuesday refused to characterize the U.S. as winning the war against ISIS.

When asked by Congressman Michael Turner of Ohio if the United States was winning “now,” Carter would say only that “we will win.”

Dunford did say more than 40 percent of ISIS’ oil revenue has been affected by U.S.-led strikes over the past month.

“We estimate that approximately 43 percent of the revenue stream that ISIL derives from oil has been affected over the past 30 days,” he said.

Speaking to lawmakers in the House Armed Services Committee, the Pentagon chief said he was deploying a “specialized expeditionary targeting force” to Iraq to work alongside local Iraqi and Kurdish peshmerga forces battling the ISIS.

The jihadists captured vast areas of territory and several key cities across Iraq and Syria last year, and the United States and its allies have been struggling to defeat them ever since.

The Obama administration — cautious after the war in Iraq — initially ruled out “boots-on-the-ground” deployments to fight the IS group, and depended on air power to attack the jihadists, leading a coalition of nations in bombing them since August last year.

But there is growing acknowledgement in the Pentagon that it is impossible to effectively fight the ISIS group without some US ground presence.

Officials in October announced the deployment of 50 special operations forces to work with anti-IS fighters in Syria and help glean intelligence and identify targets for US and coalition bombers to strike.

Citing security concerns, Carter was evasive when asked how many additional special forces troops would go to Iraq, but said it would be a “larger number” than the 50 in Syria. The United States currently already has about 3,500 troops in Iraq, but their mission is to “train and advise” local forces.

A US official, speaking on condition of anonymity, later told AFP the number would be about 200.

Though the new troops will be based in Iraq, they will have the ability to conduct raids across the border in northern Syria.

Read more at NEWSMAX.

{ Newscenter}