U.S. Service Member Killed In Yemen Raid Marks First Combat Death Of Trump Administration

3

A U.S. service member died of injuries suffered during a weekend raid against al-Qaida militants in Yemen, the military said today.

Three other American troops were wounded in the operation on Saturday against members of al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, the militant organization that has remained a potent threat amid an extended civil conflict in Yemen, U.S. Central Command (Centcom) said in a statement.

The incident marks the first time a member of the U.S. military has died in a combat situation since President Donald Trump took office a little more than a week ago. Trump has pledged to wage a more aggressive campaign against militant groups worldwide.

A defense official, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss an incident whose details have not been made public, said the slain service member was killed in a firefight with militants. The operation, which took place in a remote desert area of Yemen’s Shabwa governorate, had been planned for months and aimed to obtain intelligence information, including computer material, that was believed to be linked to planning for external attacks.

U.S. officials said they could not confirm reports of a high civilian death toll, but said that 14 militants were killed in the operation.

According to a report from the SITE Intelligence Group, AQAP reported in a message on Telegram that U.S. forces launched a helicopter attack and a ground raid on a Yemeni village, killing dozens of civilians. AQAP denied that any militants were killed and said the young daughter of Anwar al-Awlaki, a U.S. citizen who was killed in a 2011 drone strike, was one of the civilians slain.

AQAP reported that the operation took place in al-Bayda governorate, which borders Shabwa, SITE said. The group also reported it had shot down an American attack helicopter.

U.S officials said that an Osprey, a tilt-rotor military aircraft, went down in a “crash landing” at a staging area near the site of the operation, but said the mishap was not believed to be caused by militant fire. The disabled Osprey was then intentionally destroyed. Two service members were injured in that landing.

U.S. Special Operations forces have maintained a small footprint in Yemen focused on AQAP, which has been one of the most active branches of al-Qaeda and has been involved in plots to strike the West. The American forces work in close partnership with special operations troops from the United Arab Emirates.

(c) 2017, The Washington Post · Missy Ryan 

{Matzav.com}

3 COMMENTS

  1. Trump didn’t lie… have heard this over and over again in the last week.

    my dear good Liberal. when was the last President you remember that was Judged in 1 week after getting in office, for Pete’s sake give the man a chance what do you expect from him in 7 days… perhaps you believe in him more then I and Millions more……..

    In general. I think this raid over the weekend is kind of testing the waters with Mr. Trump. like a tease seeing where he will go and what he will do. we’ve seen this in the past.. one thing for sure the President should buckle under pressure (which I don’t believe he will) see where things take us…

  2. Like BY Bush administratioN, everyday the america hating media tallied how many total were killed in iraq war to rile up the citizens, so SAME they will do here but leTs all remember the famous cry ‘FREEDOM HAS A PRICE’!.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here