The organizers of Thursday’s employee-led walkout from Google offices across the world announced Friday that more than 20,000 employees and contractors located in 50 cities worldwide participated in protesting the company’s handling of workplace harassment.
The allegations and the company’s subsequent work with the executives were detailed in a bombshell New York Times report last week, prompting swift backlash from the tech giant’s employees.
Google CEO Sundar Pichai said in a statement that he supported the demonstrations.
“Earlier this week, we let Googlers know that we are aware of the activities planned for today and that employees will have the support they need if they wish to participate,” he said. “Employees have raised constructive ideas for how we can improve our policies and our processes going forward. We are taking in all their feedback so we can turn these ideas into action.”
Read more at The Hill.