New age enterprises are increasingly considering the cloud options like Azure WVD. This leads to the adoption of Exchange Online. Exchange admins find it to be a tedious process to migrate Exchange mailboxes to Office 365
Some factors encourage them to consider the migration process as a chance to reduce capital costs for running the Server edition. There are many methods for performing a migration. One of the efficient methods is Hybrid Migration.
Overview Of Hybrid Migration
Hybrid Migration is a migration technique that enables On-premises mailboxes migration to On-site or a simplification for Exchange to Office 365 migration and vice-versa. With the hands-on approach of hybrid migration, admins can easily transfer current mailboxes from Exchange Server Hosting to Exchange Online. With this technique, the user does not need to create a new mailbox or import information from existing mailboxes as the entire content will be moved.
Advantages of Exchange-based Hybrid Deployments
Hybrid deployments give users much more leeway than a traditional migration scenario.
• There is greater freedom in migrating either Exchange Online mailboxes to the Exchange organization or On-Premises Exchange and similarly from mailboxes to the Exchange Online organization.
•Organizations do not have to create new user mailboxes for each of their users or import information from the old mailbox to a new one.
Prerequisites For Performing Office 365 Hybrid Migration
• Prior to the migration, ensure that you have all the required permissions from the proper stakeholders.
• Ensure that you have made the right configurations for the Hybrid deployment both on the On-Premises server as well as Exchange Online organizations as suggested in the documents on the Microsoft website.
• Ensure that the On-Premises Exchange Client Access servers have Mailbox Replication Proxy Service is enabled
Summary Of Process to Execute Hybrid Migration in Office 365
The process of Hybrid migration to Office 365 from On-Premise or vice-versa can be surmised in a few simple steps. Use the steps stated below for your reference:
- Creation Endpoints in Exchange Admin Center.
- Enable the Proxy Server settings
- Monitor the EAC usage
- Remove the migration batches once the process is complete.
- Re-enable Outlook on the web.
Expanding the Office 365 Hybrid Deployment Process
Follow the steps below for executing hybrid migration in Office 365.
- Set the connections for the on-premises Exchange server that runs the MRS proxy service. This MRPS service assists in performing remote migrations with Exchange Online.
- Use the remote migration wizard on the Office 365 tab in EAC to migrate mailboxes.
- Remove the batches to minimize the chances of errors and increasing the possibility of a successful migration.
- Re-enable Outlook Web App. This will help users access their mailboxes with greater ease even when they are not connected to the internet.
- This completes the manual migration process for Office 365. However, there are some limitations to this technique.
Simplifying Office 365 Hybrid Migration
Microsoft supports other techniques that can simplify Exchange migration to Office 365. One of them involves the use of third-party tools. This approach too needs a certain level of expertise. Alternatively, you can outsource the process to a Tier 1 Microsoft CSP like Apps4Rent that provides round-the-clock email, chat, and phone support for Office 365 migration. Also check out our Azure virtual desktop pricing.