A Hezbollah commander on Thursday guided a group of journalists on a tour of the Israel-Lebanon border, according to media reports.
“This is occupied Palestinian land,” the commander was quoted as saying by the Hebrew news site Walla as he pointed across the border toward the northern Israeli kibbutz of Hanita.
The purpose of the tour, he said, was to provide a look at the “topography of the territory, the military deployment of the Zionist enemy and the defensive measures it has taken recently, including engineering works, fortifications and the installation of surveillance and spying devices.”
The commander pointed out segments of the fence he said Israel had built as of late to prevent infiltrations, due to the threat posed by potential Hezbollah efforts in future wars to capture border communities in the Galilee region.
“We’re not afraid of war,” Israel’s Channel 2 quoted him as saying. “The enemy understands this. We are firm in our positions…We will not hesitate to go to war and are even expecting it. We will fight when we are compelled to and we will win, God willing.”
The last major conflict between Israel and Hezbollah was the 33-day-long Second Lebanon War in the summer of 2006. Since then, the Israel-Lebanon border has remained largely quiet, except for a few brief flare-ups.
In recent years, Hezbollah — a Shiite proxy of Iran — has sent many of its fighters to Syria to prop up the regime of President Bashar Assad.
(C) 2017 . The Algemeiner Barney Breen-Portnoy