By BB Portnoy
There has been no communication between Iran and US President-elect Donald Trump’s transition team, the Islamic Republic’s foreign minister said on Tuesday, the Tehran regime-aligned Tasnim news agency reported.
“We have not made any contacts with the new US administration as of yet,” Mohammad Javad Zarif was quoted as telling the Arabic-language Al Mayadeen television station in an interview from Davos, Switzerland — where he is attending the 2017 World Economic Forum.
The fate of the July 2015 nuclear deal reached by Iran and six world powers after Trump takes office on Friday remains unclear.
In a pre-election interview with The Algemeiner in early November, senior Trump adviser David Friedman — who has since been picked to serve as the next US ambassador to Israel — said a Trump administration would “reengage with the world powers in a way that seeks to reintroduce leverage on Iran.”
Last month, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said, “I look forward to speaking to [Trump] about what to do about this bad deal.”
“Now, I opposed the deal because it doesn’t prevent Iran from getting nukes,” Netanyahu explained. “It paves the way for Iran to get nuclear weapons. The problem isn’t so much that Iran will break the deal, but that Iran will keep it because it just can walk in within a decade, and even less, and certainly within 12 years, it can just walk in to industrial-scale enrichment of uranium to make the core for an arsenal of nuclear weapons.”
(c) 2017 The Algemeiner Journal