Incoming National Economic Council Director Larry Kudlow says that he will ask the staff assembled by his predecessor, outgoing chief economic adviser Gary Cohn, to stay on the job.
“It’s a terrific staff and I’ve asked everyone to stay on,” Kudlow told The Washington Post on Monday. He noted that while he might add more workers, he does not have any wishes to make major personnel changes.
Kudlow, who Trump announced earlier this month would take over for Cohn, previously worked as a contributor for CNBC and The Hill.
He said he has been working with Cohn and White House aides to ensure a smooth transition. Although he didn’t comment on the status of his security clearance — the White House has been under scrutiny regarding how he handles background checks — he is expected to be cleared.
Cohn, a supporter of free trade, announced he would be leaving the White House after Trump decided to impose a 25 percent tariff on imported steel and 10 percent tariff on imported aluminum.
Although Trump allowed a number of allied nations to be exempted from the tariffs, he also announced $50 million in tariffs on Chinese goods over alleged intellectual property infringement.
China responded by implementing $3 million worth of tariffs on U.S. goods but, in recent days, the two nations have reportedly been negotiating to improve U.S. access to Chinese markets.
Read more at The Hill.