Miracles Continue: Rescuers Pull Teenage Girl From Rubble 15 Days After Haiti Quake

>>Follow Matzav On Whatsapp!<<

haiti5French rescuers pulled a teenage girl from the rubble of a home near the destroyed St. Gerard University today, a stunning recovery 15 days after an earthquake devastated the city. Darlene Etienne, near death from dehydration and a broken leg, was rushed to a French military field hospital and then to a hospital ship, groaning through an oxygen mask with her eyes open in a lost stare.

“She’s alive!” said paramedic Paul Francois-Valette, who accompanied her into the hospital.

Her family said Etienne, 17, had just started studying when the disaster struck, trapping dozens of students and staff in the rubble of school buildings, hostels and nearby homes.

“We thought she was dead,” her cousin, Jocelyn A. St. Jules, said in a telephone call from Marche Dessalines, a town north of the capital.

Neighbours who heard a voice coming from the rubble of a private home down the road from the collapsed university called authorities who brought in the search and rescue team today.

Rescuer Claude Fuilla walked along the dangerously crumbled roof, heard the voice and then saw a little bit of dust-covered black hair in the rubble. He said he cleared some debris, managed to reach the young woman and could see she was alive.

The team then dug out a hole big enough to give Etienne some oxygen and water. She had a very weak pulse, but within 45 minutes they managed to remove her, covered in dust, from what appeared to be the collapsed porch area of the home.

“It’s exceptional. She spoke to us in a very little voice; she was extremely weak,” Fuilla said. “Before we stabilized her she was extremely dehydrated and weak. She had a very low blood pressure.

“She couldn’t really talk to us or say how long she’d been there, but I think she’d been there since the earthquake. I don’t think she could have survived even a few more hours.”

Etienne did mumble something about having a little Coca-Cola with her in the rubble, he said. While Fuilla said she was rescued from what appeared to be the porch area of the house, a neighbor said he believed it was the shower room, where she might have had access to water.

Another rescuer, French Lt. Col. Christophe Renou, said that Etienne’s blood pressure was extremely low – and that he had no idea how she had managed to cling to life so long. “Definitely she’s been here for 15 days,” and “was very, very weak,” he said.

Capt. Paul Courbin, leader of the French rescue team, said the teenager had a broken left leg.

Renou said his team would probably return Thursday with radar equipment to look for any other possible survivors.

The last previous confirmed rescue of someone trapped by the initial quake occurred Saturday, 11 days later, when a man was extricated from the ruins of a hotel grocery store. A man pulled Tuesday from the rubble of a downtown store and treated by the U.S. military for severe dehydration and a broken leg later said he had been trapped during an aftershock.

At least 135 people have been unearthed by rescue teams since the Jan. 12 quake, and many more by relatives and neighbours. But most of these rescues were in the immediate aftermath and authorities say it is rare for anyone to survive more than 72 hours without water.

{StarTribune.com/Noam Amdurski-Matzav.com Newscenter}



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here