Video: Home Had No Smoke Detectors in Boro Park Menorah Fire

>>Follow Matzav On Whatsapp!<<

menorah-fire[Video below.] Please be mispallel for Tzivia Itta bas Chaya Sara. WABC reports: As reported this morning, a burning menorah is likely to blame for causing an overnight fire that now has a young girl fighting for her life. Firefighters crawled through the smoke to rescue the child.

“It’s a tragedy, it’s a tragedy when something like this happens. What can you do? This shouldn’t happen to anyone,” neighbor Naftuli Schwartz said.

An anguished community is trying to understand how a religious celebration could lead to something so horrible.

Three-year-old Tzivia is fighting for her life with severe burns.

The most likely culprit is the family’s oil-burning Chanukah menorah, which fire fighters say likely toppled over, and sparked the blaze.

The fire in the 47th Avenue house happened sometime after 10 p.m. Monday night.

The girl was home with her twin sister, another sibling, and a 71-year-old babysitter. The others all got out on their own, but arriving fire fighters risked their own lives to save three-year-old Tzivia.

“…One of the firefighters found the three-year-old on the floor. He pulled her out and handed her to the ambulance who was right outside,” FDNY Deputy Chief, William Tanzosh said.

Now this community is praying she survives.

“I hope God sends a speedy recovery to the child,” said Tzivia Fryer.

Firefighters say there were no working smoke detectors in the home. However, the say that probably had very little impact on the final outcome, because the fire spread so quickly in the living room.

Volunteers and paramedics rushed to the little girl’s aid. She was rushed to the burn unit at Staten Island University Hospital in “extremely critical” condition.

For a video report of the incident, click here.

{WABC-NY/Noam Newscenter}


  1. Why were there no working smoke detectors? Aren’t there laws about this? And what were the parents thinking – that they were exempt from bad things happening?

    Now a precious little neshamele is fighting for her life.

    If you have children you MUST have working smoke detectors. And even if you don’t have children and don’t care about yourself, what about your neighbors in the same building?

    Make sure your smoke detectors work. If you’re not sure about how to use one, call your fire department – they’ll be happy to help. Don’t put it off. We can’t be somech on nisim, even on Chanukah.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here