Early Morning Fire Damages The Egg Stores In Stamford Hill


egg-stores-in-stamford-hillFire fighters were called at 12:58 am this morning to tackle a blaze, at the Egg Stores near the Stoke Newington one way system.

Twenty people from the flats above evacuated before the arrival of the Brigade, and fortunately no one was injured. Part of the shop was damaged and there was smoke throughout the building.

Two fire engines and around 10 firefighters from Stoke Newington were at the scene and were able to bring it under control by 2:05 am. The fire is under investigation but LFB believe it was accidental.

A person Hackney Hive spoke to at the Egg Stores, said she wasn’t able to speak and was ‘traumatized’ by events. Lib Dem Councillor for Cazenove ward, Abraham Jacobson, sent a twitter message claiming the fire was caused by a ‘freezer’. He also added the store is “renowned for the best Herrings in London.”

The store with a peculiar name that sits across the road from Abney Park, has been a land mark in the Stoke Newington/Stamford Hill area for decades. It is a one stop shop for all things kosher, Jewish and more.

This is the 4th fire within five days in and around Hackney. A 32 year old man died on Sunday morning in a fire at a former hostel on Lower Clapton Road, occupied by squatters. Two days later, a woman was rescued from her flat in Narford Road, Upper Clapton, after she left a candle burning near a curtain. The woman was taken to hospital and treated for smoke inhalation and minor burns.

On Wednesday, a fire broke out at a building site in Clifden Road in Clapton. Smoke from the fire which was quickly brought under control, could be seen from the Olympic Park.


{Matzav.com Newscenter}