Northern Israel is on high alert following the Air Force’s reported strike on a Hezbollah missile convoy crossing from Syria into Lebanon on Monday, and a subsequent threat of retaliation from the terror group, Israeli daily Ma’ariv reported.
Farmers have been told to stay away from the border fence for fear of snipers and more Israel Defense Forces (IDF) troops have been deployed across the north, Ma’ariv said. Additionally, weekend leave for soldiers stationed in the region has been cancelled.
The mayor of border town Kiryat Shmona, Rabbi Nissim Malka, said on Thursday, “We have been advised to remain ever vigilant, but to not take any unusual steps such as opening up the bomb shelters. We hope that the current calm will be maintained.”
Despite being faced with the possibility that Hezbollah will make good on its threat, northerners are displaying a quiet resolve, Ma’ariv said.
When asked earlier this week about the alleged Israeli strikes, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said, “Our policy is clear. I cannot elaborate but will stress our intention to continue doing everything in our power to ensure the security of Israeli citizens.”