Today’s Yahrtzeits and History – 19 Shevat


yahrtzeit-candleRav Binyamin Zev Shapiro of Prague (1718)

Rav Yitzchak Baruch Sofer, father of the Kaf Hachaim (1905)

Rav Shmuel Weinberg of Slonim, the Divrei Shmuel (1916). Grandson of Rav Avraham of Slonim, the Yesod HaAvodah. He was succeeded by his sons Rav Yissochor Leib and Rav Avraham, the Beis Avraham.

Rav Shimon Greenfeld of Somihali (Szemihaly), the Maharshag (1930), a student of the Maharam Shick. His nephew and talmid, Rav Shmaya, was the first Rav of the Satmar Kehilla in Montreal.

Rav Elimelech Menachem Mendel (ben Dov Berish) Landau, first Admor of Strikov (1859-1936). Born Menachem Mendel (Elimelech was added a year before his petira) to Rav Dov Berish of Biala. After the petira of Rav Yitzchak of Vorka in 1848, the majority of Vorka Chassidim chose to follow Reb Menachem Mendel’s father, Rav Dov Berish. After his petirah in 1876, none of the sons were willing to accept leadership, so the Chassidim followed Rav Dov Berish’s primary talmid, Rav Yechiel of Alexander. Reb Menachem Mendel and his brothers moved to Alexander to follow Rav Yechiel, and – after his petirah in 1894 – his son, the Yismach Yisrael. When the Yismach Yisrael died childless in 1910, Reb Menachem Mendel’s brother, Reb Aharon Tzvi founded a court. Only when he passed, did Menachem Mendel accept leadership of the Chassidim and set up court in Strikov. After World War I, he settled in the town of Zhgierzh, adjacent to Lodz, and founded Yeshivas Beis Aharon, named after his brother. During his time, 150 batei medrash of Strikover chassidim were scattered throughout Poland. When he visited Eretz Yisrael, he founded Yeshivas Zechusa DeAvraham. His divrei Torah were printed in Maggid Devarav L’Yaakov and in Bayeshishim Chachmah.

Rav Shmuel Carlebach (1927-1999). Educational director of the Bnei Brak Or Hachaim Seminary and the Beis Yaakov Seminary of Ashdod. Born in Frankfort, Germany. He was sent to Belgium during the War. In 1939, the Carlebach family settled in Tel Aviv. Reb Shmuel merited to be one of the first students of Yeshivas Kol Torah under Rav Yechiel Michel Schlesinger, its founder. In 1946, he learned at Ponovezh and became close to Rav Abba Grossbard and Rav Eliyahu Dessler. After his marriage in 1951, he continued his studies at the Ponovezh Kollel In 1954, Rav Wolf asked him to direct the Or Hachaim Seminary for girls. He headed this institution for thirty years. In1985, he was appointed head of the Seminar Avos of the Ponovezh Institutions of Ashdod, and the educational director of Be’er Miriam in Bnei Brak, and remained in those capacities until his final day.

Rav Hershel Mashinsky, co-founder of Kupath Ezrah of Rockland County. He began teaching at Yeshiva of Spring Valley in 1947, then after marrying Malka leah Felsenburg and moving to Monsey, at the Talmud Torah and Mesivta Ohr Reuven. (1925-2004)

Today in History – 19 Shevat

· 700 Jews of Basel, Switzerland were burned alive in wooden houses constructed for that purpose in the wake of the Black Plague, 1349.
· After the occupation of Rome by General Berthier, the local republicans dethroned the Pope and Jews removed the yellow badge, 1798.

{Yahrzeits licensed to Matzav by Manny Saltiel &}