Yahrtzeits – 19 Cheshvan
Rav Naftali Yitzchak Segal, author of Naftali Seva Ratzon (1555)
Rav Yitzchak Avraham Wallerstein of Minsk, brother of the Shaagas Aryeh (1775)
Rav Shimshon Halevi Heller of Zhbarizh (1839)
Rav Eliyahu Rogler, Rav of Slobodka and Kalisch (1849)
Rav Moshe Michel of Biala (1854), born to Rav Eliezer Fishel of Strizhov, a mekubal. After his marriage, Rav Moshe Michel settled in Zamoszh, where he and his wife were supported by her father. After the passing of his father in 1812, he became a chassid of the Chozeh of Lublin, and then Rav Bunim of Peshischa. He eventually became Rav of Biala.
Rav Yehoshua Attiah
Rav Sa’asa Hakohen of Djerba, Tunisia (1904)
Rav Avraham Tzvi Hirsch Kamai, the last Rav of Mir (1859-1942). Born in the Lithuanian town of Shkod, his family traced its ancestry back to the brother of the Vilna Gaon, Rav Avraham, author of Maalos Hatorah. His father was Rav Eliyahu Baruch Kamai, who served as Rav of of the communities of Shkod, Karelitz and Czechnovtza, following which he served as rov of Mir and as head of the town’s yeshiva. His chiddushim were published in Bris Melach. Rav Tzvi Hirsch’s wife, who was a clever and highly-educated woman, opened a pharmacy in order to support the family. Rav Tzvi Hirsch assisted her from time to time when she needed help, and he would also prepare medicines for the customers according to the prescriptions that they brought. With his father’s petira, however, he replaced him as Rav and Rosh Yeshiva in Mir.
Yahrtzeits – 20 Cheshvan
Rav Avraham ben Yitzchak of Narbonne, author of Sefer HaEshkol, father-in-law of the the Raavad, Rav Avraham ben Dovid.
Rav Avraham ben Dovid (Ravad II) (1119-1198). R’ Avraham lived at the time of Rabbeinu Tam and is mentioned a few times in the Tosafos. He had the merit of having Eliyahu HaNavi appear to him, as claimed by Rabbi Chaim Vital in his introduction to Etz HaChaim. His son was the tzaddik Rabbi Yitzchak Sagi Nahor. According to Yated Neeman in 2005, he is the author of Sefer HaEshkol
Rav Shalom of Kaminka (1851)
Rav Yechezkel, the third Rebbe of Radmosk, known as the Kenesses Yechezkel of Radomsk (1864-1910)
Rav Moshe Lemberger, the Makava Rav of Kfar Ata (1982)
Rav Mordechai Sharabi (1912-1984). Born in Taiz, Yemen; his father was niftar before he was born, and his mother passed away just 4 years later. He was raised by his grandfather, Rav Yefes Avraham, Rav in Sharab. Rav Mordechai’s other grandfather was Rav Salom Sharabi, the Rashash. In 1931, shortly after he married, Rav Mordechai moved to Eretz Yisrael and settled in Yerushalayim. He later founded Yeshivat Nahar Shalom in the Machane Yehuda section of the city. Although they never had children, tens of boys of the neighborhood had their meals with them and grew to become Roshei Yeshiva and Roshei Kollel. It is related that in the week of Rav Mordechai’s petira, the Baba Sali experienced a frightening premonition that much Jewish blood would be spilled, including children. He davened the entire day and fasted despite being over 90 years of age. The next morning, he announced that the gezeira was lifted, and that one of the tzadikim gave his life away
for the generation. At the time, the Baba Sali was not aware that Rav Mordechai was ill. Indeed, Rav Sharabi was niftar that week.
Rav Mordechai Leib Zuckerman, author of Meir Einei Yisrael (1912-2003). Born in Samagron, a city near Vilna. In 1931, he moved to Radin to learn with the Chofetz Chaim. During the war, he arrived in the Kovna ghetto, where he acted as shamash for Rav Avraham Grodzinsky, the mashgiach of Slabodka. As Rav Avraham’s talmid muvhak, he transcribed his mentor’s discourses and studied with him privately bechavrusa when Rav Avraham was hospitalized. Subsequently, the Nazis burned down that hospital and Rav Mordechai Leib was the last person to have seen Rav Avraham alive. When the Nazis decided to liquidate the entire ghetto, Rav Mordechai Leib was saved by a miracle when he hid in a pit with a few others. In 1948, he moved to Yerushalayim, settling in Givat Shaul and accepting the positions of rav of the Perushim shul and the head of Kollel Chevron there. He occupied those positions for over 50 years.
Today in History – 19 Cheshvan
· The first Jewish neighborhood outside of the old city wall of Yerushalayim is dedicated, 1860. The site, purchased by Sir Moses Montefiore five years earlier, is known as Mishkenot Sha’ananim. Although there was initial resistance by Jews to leaving the “security” of the old city walls, it soon led to the establishment of dozens of new neighborhoods outside of the Old City.
· The Chofetz Chaim completes the last volume of the Mishnah Berurah, marking the culmination of more than three decades of toil, 1906.
· U.S.census of 1940 counted 1,750,000 Jews.
· UN General Assembly Resolution 242 is adopted unanimously by the UN Security Council on November 22, 1967 in the aftermath of the Six Day War. It called for the “withdrawal of Israeli armed forces from territories occupied in the recent conflict” and the “[t]ermination of all claims or states of belligerency”. It also calls for the recognition of all established states by belligerent parties (Israel, Egypt, Syria, Jordan) of each other and recognized boundaries for all parties.
Today in History – 20 Cheshvan
· Restricted rights for Austrian Jews, 1396.
· Jewish community of Ferrara, Italy miraculously escaped disaster when a violent earthquake struck, 1571.
· Birth of Rav Avraham Yaakov of Sadigura, the Sadigurer Rebbe (1820-1883), son of Rav Yisrael of Ruzhin