Yahrtzeits – 19 Cheshvan
Rav Naftali Yitzchak Segal, author of Naftali Seva Ratzon (1555)
Rav Yitzchak Avraham Wallerstein of Minsk, brother of the Shaagas Aryeh (1775)
Rav Shimshon Halevi Heller of Zhbarizh (1839)
Rav Eliyahu Rogler, Rav of Slobodka and Kalisch (1849)
Rav Moshe Michel of Biala (1854), born to Rav Eliezer Fishel of Strizhov, a mekubal. After his marriage, Rav Moshe Michel settled in Zamoszh, where he and his wife were supported by her father. After the passing of his father in 1812, he became a chassid of the Chozeh of Lublin, and then Rav Bunim of Peshischa. He eventually became Rav of Biala.
Rav Yehoshua Attiah
Rav Sa’asa Hakohen of Djerba, Tunisia (1904)
Rav Avraham Tzvi Hirsch Kamai, the last Rav of Mir (1859-1942). Born in the Lithuanian town of Shkod, his family traced its ancestry back to the brother of the Vilna Gaon, Rav Avraham, author of Maalos Hatorah. His father was Rav Eliyahu Baruch Kamai, who served as Rav of of the communities of Shkod, Karelitz and Czechnovtza, following which he served as rov of Mir and as head of the town’s yeshiva. His chiddushim were published in Bris Melach. Rav Tzvi Hirsch’s wife, who was a clever and highly-educated woman, opened a pharmacy in order to support the family. Rav Tzvi Hirsch assisted her from time to time when she needed help, and he would also prepare medicines for the customers according to the prescriptions that they brought. With his father’s petira, however, he replaced him as Rav and Rosh Yeshiva in Mir.
Today in History – 19 Cheshvan
· The first Jewish neighborhood outside of the old city wall of Yerushalayim is dedicated, 1860. The site, purchased by Sir Moses Montefiore five years earlier, is known as Mishkenot Sha’ananim. Although there was initial resistance by Jews to leaving the “security” of the old city walls, it soon led to the establishment of dozens of new neighborhoods outside of the Old City.
· The Chofetz Chaim completes the last volume of the Mishnah Berurah, marking the culmination of more than three decades of toil, 1906.
· U.S.census of 1940 counted 1,750,000 Jews.
· UN General Assembly Resolution 242 is adopted unanimously by the UN Security Council on November 22, 1967 in the aftermath of the Six Day War. It called for the “withdrawal of Israeli armed forces from territories occupied in the recent conflict” and the “[t]ermination of all claims or states of belligerency”. It also calls for the recognition of all established states by belligerent parties (Israel, Egypt, Syria, Jordan) of each other and recognized boundaries for all parties.