Rav Mordechai Dov Ber of Hornesteipel, grandson of the Mitteler Rebbe, author of Haemek Sheelah (1903).Today in Histroy – 22 Elul
· First Jewish fighting force of modern times was established – the Jewish regiment with the Polish Revolutionary Army, 1794.
· In the bloodiest battle day in U.S. history, Union and Confederate forces fought in the Civil War Battle of Antietam at Sharpsburg, Maryland, 1862. It was the first major battle on Northern soil. Antietam resulted in nine times as many Americans killed or wounded (23,000 soldiers) as took place on June 6, 1944–D-day, the so-called “longest day” of World War II. More soldiers were killed and wounded at the Battle of Antietam than the deaths of all Americans in the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Mexican War, and Spanish-American War combined.
· Jews of Homel, Russia massacred, 1903.
· Germanyoccupied Cracow, 1939.
· 9000 Jews of Slonim, Russia murdered by the Nazis, 1941.
· Destruction of the town of Berditchev, when the Nazis shot 30,000 mean, women, and children, and dumped their bodies into open pits over two days (Elul 22-23)