The former home of Betzalel Hebrew Day School located on Fifth Street, off of Madison Avenue, in Lakewood, NJ, is now the home of Cheder Bnei Torah of Lakewood, which purchased the building. Cheder Bnei Torah was previous located in a small and limited facility on Route 88.
Cheder Bnei Torah is led by Rav Zvi Yosef Bursztyn (pictured), who is the rosh yeshiva of Mesivta of Lakewood, the first mesivta in the town. Rav Bursztyn is a son-in-law of Rav Nosson Wachtfogel zt”l, mashgiach of Beth Medrash Govoha.
Cheder Bnei Torah, founded in 2002, is highly regarded as an exceptional mosad hachinuch and has seen remarkable growth since its founding. It had long ago outgrown its current location on Route 88, and the large and expansive Betzalel Hebrew Day School campus will serve as a perfect setting to ensure the continued hatzlacha of the cheder.
Betzalel Hebrew Day School was named after Reb Betzalel (Charles) Goldstein, a Lakewood resident of the last century who invited the rosh yeshiva, Rav Aharon Kotler zt”l, to open Beth Medrash Govoha in Lakewood in 1943. The rest, as they say, is history. In addition to his involvement in the establishment of Beth Medrash Govoha, Mr. Goldstein was one of the driving forces behind the founding of the Old Shul-Congregation Sons of Israel of Park Avenue in Lakewood, and he started the first day school in the town, which was later renamed Betzalel Hebrew Day School in his honor after his passing in 1953.
Unfortunately, the school experienced some tough times the past few years and was forced to close this past year.