
Thousands of families in Modiin Illit, Bnei Brak and Rechasim were left without electricity during critical hours on Erev Shabbos and, in some areas, into Shabbos itself, sparking mounting anger over repeated power failures that residents say have become an increasingly serious infrastructure problem.
The outages struck as families were preparing for Shabbos amid intense summer heat, leaving homes without air conditioning and preventing many residents from completing their cooking. The latest failures come after similar outages in recent weeks, prompting residents to demand a lasting solution from the Israel Electric Corporation.
In Modiin Illit, a widespread outage began on Erev Shabbos and left thousands of residents waiting for hours without knowing when service would be restored. In some neighborhoods, electricity returned only about half an hour before Shabbos, after families had already struggled through much of their preparations without power in the sweltering heat.
Other sections of the city remained without electricity until approximately an hour after Shabbos had begun.
“We had a power outage from four in the afternoon, we were left without much food because we hadn’t managed to cook it, and Shabbos came in with a gloomy atmosphere because we had no main course or cholent,” residents told Kikar HaShabbos.
The latest incident was not an isolated one. Modiin Illit has experienced a series of electricity failures in recent weeks, including the previous Shabbos, when thousands of residents reportedly went without power for hours. In some parts of the city, electricity remained out throughout Shabbos.
Additional problems were reported this past Shabbos as well. At approximately 10 p.m. on Friday night, residents again reported disruptions to the city’s electricity supply.
Similar outages were reported in Bnei Brak and Rechasim, where residents in several neighborhoods were forced to contend with power failures during the busy hours leading into Shabbos while temperatures remained extremely high.
Over the past week, outages were also reported in the Chazon Ish and Ezra Street areas of Bnei Brak. Numerous families were left without electricity, while some buildings reportedly received only partial power, leaving residents unable to operate air conditioners and other essential appliances.
Israel Electric Corporation CEO Meir Spiegler addressed the outage in Modiin Illit and suggested that unauthorized apartment subdivisions and private electrical connections may be contributing significantly to the strain on the local grid.
“The heavy load apparently also stems from apartment subdivisions and private connections that, naturally, were not taken into account when the network’s capacity was planned,” Spiegler said.
In a message distributed to residents while crews were working to restore service, Spiegler said, “A team of company employees is on the ground working to restore electricity to residents. They have now located the malfunction, and it will take approximately another hour to restore electricity to all residents. This week, we will carry out a fundamental treatment of the system that supplies Modiin Illit.”
Spiegler also sharply criticized what he described as illegal electrical arrangements that place additional pressure on the system.
“This is wild, lawless and illegal conduct that harms every one of us and causes those G-d-fearing residents who act in accordance with the law to pay a heavy price in the form of power outages as a result of their actions,” Spiegler said. “It is time to put an end to this, and the sooner the better. It depends solely on the regulatory and enforcement authorities faithfully carrying out their responsibilities.”
Residents, however, are directing growing criticism at the Israel Electric Corporation, arguing that regardless of the causes behind the increased demand, the infrastructure must be capable of providing reliable electricity to the rapidly growing communities it serves.
They say the recurring outages are no longer merely an inconvenience, particularly when they occur on Erev Shabbos and during periods of extreme summer heat. Beyond ruining food and disrupting Shabbos preparations, residents warn that prolonged power failures can pose a health risk to elderly residents, young children and others particularly vulnerable to high temperatures.
At the same time, some Modiin Illit residents have raised serious concerns of their own about what they describe as unauthorized electrical connections operating in certain parts of the city. They contend that such connections present a significant safety hazard while also adding to the burden on the electricity network.
According to those residents, four wedding halls and more than 100 guest rooms are operating in the area in question, creating substantial additional demand on the local power system. They say the heavy load has repeatedly coincided with disruptions in electricity service, further fueling calls for authorities and the Israel Electric Corporation to address the problem before another outage leaves families in the dark.
{Matzav.com}



