The U.S. military has begun to move equipment out of Afghanistan but sent in extra defenses as forces prepare to withdraw from the country, the Pentagon confirmed Friday.
Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin earlier on Friday approved keeping the USS Eisenhower aircraft carrier in the region “for a period of time,” as well as sending several B-52 long-range bombers to the region, press secretary John Kirby told reporters.
In addition, “there could be temporary additional force protection measures and enablers that we would require to make sure…that this drawdown goes smoothly and safely for our men and women,” Kirby said.
Kirby noted that the efforts were in response to the possible threats from the Taliban, who have expressed their displeasure with the Biden administration’s decision to forego a deal made between the insurgent group and the Trump administration to withdraw all U.S. forces by May 1. Washington now aims to have all forces out by Sept. 11.
Read more at The Hill.