
The U.S. Army is ending the specialized mission of an experimental drone warfare battalion in Europe, dismantling an initiative created to bring lessons from Ukraine’s drone-dominated battlefield directly into American combat operations as the service undergoes a broader strategic shift under acting Army Chief of Staff Gen. Christopher LaNeve.
The approximately 600-member force was assembled in January using soldiers from the 173rd Airborne Brigade. According to The Wall Street Journal, its mission was to experiment with drones and ground-based robotic systems, develop new combat tactics and prepare Army units for warfare in which unmanned technology increasingly plays a central role.
The battalion will participate in the Saber Junction military exercise in Germany during August and September and then present its conclusions to senior Army officials. Afterward, an Army official said, the unit will relinquish its dedicated drone experimentation role.
“Following the exercise, the battalion will refocus on its core warfighting tasks as an airborne infantry battalion,” the official told the Journal.
The decision comes amid a change in direction under LaNeve, who assumed the Army’s top uniformed position after War Secretary Pete Hegseth removed Gen. Randy George in April. LaNeve has pushed what has been described as a “back-to-basics” philosophy for the service.
George had been one of the strongest advocates for the experimental drone formation. It was part of his “transformation in contact” strategy, an effort to get developing technologies into the hands of troops quickly so soldiers could test new equipment and formulate battlefield tactics under realistic conditions.
Some military analysts have raised alarms over the decision, warning that the Army could surrender valuable progress at a moment when drones, robotics and other unmanned technologies are rapidly transforming modern combat, particularly in Ukraine.
“Ukraine has essentially revolutionized the close fight,” Michael O’Hanlon, a defense expert at the Brookings Institution, told the Journal. “Gen. George was starting to get that, and any setback in what he was doing would be deeply regretful and dangerous.”
Army officials have not publicly identified a successor to the battalion’s experimental mission or explained precisely how the service plans to speed up its work on drone-based warfare after the unit returns to conventional infantry duties.
An Army spokesman maintained that the shift does not represent a retreat from unmanned warfare, saying the service “is committed to accelerating U.S. military drone dominance to meet the demands of large-scale combat operations.”
“We rigorously test a wide variety of unmanned and counter-unmanned technologies in the field. Ultimately, these aerial systems are enablers that support our soldiers,” the spokesman said.
In a memo issued Wednesday, LaNeve laid out his larger vision for the Army, arguing that American forces must be equipped and trained for a battlefield that is changing at extraordinary speed.
“U.S. Army forces must be prepared to overcome the most complex challenges our adversaries can impose and master an operational environment that looks fundamentally different from the battlefields of yesterday,” LaNeve wrote.
A separate document accompanying the memo, called the “Army Azimuth,” indicates that the Army still intends to create and develop formations built around sophisticated cyber operations, electronic warfare and artificial intelligence capabilities, according to the Journal.
The experimental formation was officially designated the 3rd Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment and emerged from the Army’s examination of Russia’s war against Ukraine. George, Army Secretary Dan Driscoll and Gen. Chris Donahue traveled to Kyiv in November, where they met directly with Ukrainian commanders experienced in drone warfare.
Members of the battalion subsequently spent time in Kyiv working alongside Ukrainian personnel. The American unit also trained with Ukrainian drone specialists at NATO training facilities.
When Army officials initially conceived the formation, they described it as a “tactical unmanned systems battalion” intended to devise new methods for deploying drones and robotic technology alongside larger military formations. At the time the battalion was established, officials did not announce any expiration date for its specialized drone mission.
Ending that mission is only one of several major organizational changes LaNeve has implemented since assuming command. The Army is also transferring a Multi-Domain Task Force from Europe to South Korea, while the Fort Hood, Texas-based III Armored Corps — which previously had responsibilities that included helping reinforce Europe — has been reassigned to the newly established Western Hemisphere Command.
The restructuring is taking place as the United States reduces its military footprint in Europe under President Donald Trump.
At the same time, Hegseth has vowed to erase China’s lead in drone development. His plan includes a $1.1 billion investment involving the Army, Marine Corps and Special Operations Command.
Retired Lt. Gen. Keith Kellogg, who served during both Trump administrations and recommended LaNeve to Hegseth, backed the acting Army chief’s emphasis on traditional military readiness and standards.
“LaNeve is hard over pushing standards. That is his strength. He is uncompromising for the good of the force,” Kellogg said.



