Facing one of the most searching farhers to date, the Shas Yiden geonim avreichim once again astounded the examiner. Those present, travelling from New York, found the scholarship nothing short of amazing! With comments like: “They own Shas!” “Their accomplishment is just ‘beyond’…” “I thought the claim that they all complete Shas five times a year was hallucinatory talk, but with my own eyes I saw them in action – just something else!”
Giving the farher on this occasion was Harav Hagaon Itamar Garbuz, shlit”a, Rosh Yeshiva of Orchos Torah (appointed by Maran Hagaon Aharon Leib Steiman, zt”l) and Rosh of the 15 kollelim of Taharos (appointed by Maran Hagaon Mechel Yehuda Lefkowitz, zt”l).
For a full hour, Rav Garbuz conducted a non-stop, penetrating, all-encompassing examination. It is not possible to fully describe all the fascinating and deep responses, the heated dynamic of Torah, and the power and the personal spiritual gifts which this entire experience involved and demonstrated. The Rosh Yeshiva expressed his amazement at the knowledge of these geonim avreichim. He said, “These are not just ‘regular’ Shas Yiden who show a broad knowledge of the text of Shas. Behold, here we have seen and heard knowledge of the Shas in depth, with Rishonim and they have the needed scholarship.” Simply, it is also not possible not to emphasize their pansophic knowledge which is extraordinary.
In his conclusion, Rav Garbuz blessed the founder of Shas Yiden, Hagaon Harav Avrohom Eisen, shlit”a, the Pozna Rov, together with the supporters who travelled from overseas to be present at the farher and to meet with the Nasi of Shas Yiden, Maran Hagaon, Sar Hatorah, Harav Chaim Kanievsky, shilt”a, and other gedolei Torah who are avid supporters of Shas Yiden. Rav Garbuz again expressed his excitement at the Shas Yiden phenomenon. He then added that he was jealous of their zechus in supporting this incredible endeavor and the development of these geonim avreichim who are unique in our generation.
For more information on Shas Yiden, to view live farhers, including that of Rav Garbuz, or to donate, click on www.shasyiden.com
Some of the wide-ranging questions:
- We all know the statement “One can rely on Rabbi Shimon in the case of an emergency“. What is considered the emergency for which we are relying on Rabbi Shimon? How many times do we find this in Chazal? Their immediate responses: Shabbos 45a – muktzeh; Brochos 9a – recitation of the Shma; Gittin 19a – shtar mukdam. Then they added Rabbi Elazar in Niddah 6b; Eiruvin 46a in the sugya of in ‘m’eis l’eis’.
- Is an egg is considered food or a liquid and explain? Three immediate responses: Beitza 2a; Yoma 80a; Sanhedrin 5b.
- In Shabbos, how many disputes are there between Rabbi Shimon and Rabbi Yehuda? Immediately they listed them all and their page numbers. All present could not believe their eyes and ears.
- Which Amora concluded Shas at a young age? Rav Cahanah at 18 – Shabbos 63a; Rav Chaga at 18 – Moed Katan 25a. Who concluded a maseches at a younger age? ‘Hahu yanuka’ concluded Avoda Zara at age 6 – Avoda Zara 56b.
- How many mishnayos in Shas have no gemara on them? Bechoros 13a, Rosh Hashanna 22b, Nedarim 63b.
- Which daf in Shas contains the expressions of Rava only? Bechoros 59.