
The United Arab Emirates announced Tuesday that it is immediately suspending all trade, commercial activity and financial transactions with Iran until further notice, a sweeping move that comes amid renewed tensions between the two countries and accusations that Tehran fired ballistic missiles toward Emirati territory.
Afra Al Hameli, director of the Strategic Communications Department at the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said the action was prompted by escalating developments in the region that Abu Dhabi believes pose a danger to peace and security both in the Middle East and around the world.
Despite the dramatic economic step, Al Hameli emphasized that the UAE continues to regard dialogue, cooperation and greater regional integration as crucial tools for achieving long-term stability, peace and prosperity. She added that the Emirates remains committed to safeguarding the international financial system, following international law and maintaining established global standards.
Abu Dhabi also said it intends to continue supporting efforts aimed at protecting financial stability throughout the region and internationally.
The decision came after the UAE Defense Ministry accused Iran of firing two ballistic missiles in the direction of the country, although officials said neither projectile ultimately struck Emirati land.
“UAE air defenses detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran toward the country, with the first falling outside the country’s territorial waters, while the second fell within the territorial waters,” the ministry said in a social media post.
Tehran rejected the allegation that it was responsible for the launches. Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei called the UAE’s claims “baseless” and cautioned that “false flag operations” could be involved.
The UAE was one of several countries across the region that came under Iranian attack following the outbreak of war between Iran, the United States and Israel in late February. Those Iranian strikes ended after a ceasefire was reached and the sides signed a framework agreement in mid-June aimed at bringing the conflict to an end.
The Wall Street Journal reported in May that the UAE had secretly participated in dozens of airstrikes against Iran during the fighting, coordinating the operations with the United States and Israel. According to the report, military installations and energy infrastructure were among the targets, and Emirati operations continued even after the ceasefire was announced.
The newspaper had earlier reported that UAE forces were directly involved in attacks against Iranian infrastructure. Among the strikes attributed to the Emirates was an operation targeting a major oil refinery on Lavan Island in the Persian Gulf.
{Matzav.com}



