The correspondents’ association dinner is the night the president does stand-up comedy to raise money for scholarships for young journalists – and provides tongue-in-cheek payback for those already on the job as well as political opponents. A few of the presidential zingers tossed out by Barack Obama on Motzoei Shabbos:
– “It is no wonder that people keep pointing out how the presidency has aged me. I look so old, John Boehner’s already invited Netanyahu to speak at my funeral.”
– “I still have to fix a broken immigration system, issue veto threats, negotiate with Iran. All while finding time to pray five times a day. Which is strenuous.”
– “Just this week Michele Bachmann actually predicted that I would bring about the biblical end of days. Now, that’s a legacy.”
– “I have one friend … just a few weeks ago she was making millions of dollars a year, and she’s now living out of a van in Iowa.” That was a crack about presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton, who campaigned in Iowa in a van nicknamed Scooby.
– “The polar vortex caused so many record lows they renamed it MSNBC.”
– “Donald Trump is here – still.”