NYC Scores Early Court Victory as Challenge to Mamdani’s Rent Freeze Is Kicked to Manhattan

0
345
>>Follow Matzav On Whatsapp!<<

New York City won an initial procedural victory Friday in the court fight over Mayor Zohran Mamdani’s two-year rent freeze, as a judge ruled that a lawsuit seeking to overturn the policy was brought in the wrong borough and must be transferred from Staten Island to Manhattan.

The ruling does not resolve the central dispute over whether the Rent Guidelines Board acted lawfully when it froze rents on approximately one million rent-stabilized apartments. Instead, it delays consideration of those arguments, along with pending efforts by groups representing landlords and tenants to intervene in the case.

Staten Island Supreme Court Justice Ralph Porzio ordered the proceeding moved to Manhattan Supreme Court, although he made clear that he had been ready to address the substance of the challenge.

Porzio said he “was prepared to decide the issue on the merits,” pointing to the “enormity and the impact this case has.”

“However, this venue motion… had to be decided, and I’ve decided it this way.”

The legal battle began last month when a coalition of New York City landlords sued the Rent Guidelines Board over its June decision to impose a two-year freeze affecting roughly one million rent-stabilized units. The landlords contend that the process was a rigged “sham” and “unlawful.”

The case was filed by Randy Mastro, who served as first deputy mayor before becoming a prominent legal adversary of the Mamdani administration. Friday’s decision represented an early setback for Mastro and the small landlords he represents.

City attorneys quickly challenged the decision to bring the case in Staten Island, arguing that the lawsuit belonged in Manhattan regardless of the underlying merits of the landlords’ claims.

At issue was a procedural requirement governing Article 78 proceedings, the type of lawsuit used to challenge decisions by government agencies and public bodies. City attorneys maintained that such a case must be brought in the location where the government action being challenged took place. Because the Rent Guidelines Board proceedings at issue occurred in Manhattan, they argued, Manhattan was the proper venue.

“This venue motion has nothing to do with your honor’s ability to hear the case on its merits,” Corporation Counsel Steven Banks said during Friday’s virtual court proceeding. “It has to do with the importance of adhering to the rules.”

Mastro, who told the court that Friday happened to be his birthday, pushed back against the city’s position and argued that Staten Island was an entirely appropriate place to bring the challenge.

He noted that the Rent Guidelines Board’s decision applies citywide and directly affects Staten Island, where approximately 8,200 apartments are subject to rent stabilization.

“Staten Island may be smaller in population than the other boroughs in our city, but it is every bit as important, and it is just as affected by this decision as any other borough,” Mastro argued.

Attorney Deborah Reigel, who is also representing the landlords, warned that accepting the city’s reasoning could create troubling incentives for municipal agencies.

Reigel argued that the contention that Staten Island was an improper venue because the Rent Guidelines Board did not conduct rent-freeze hearings there “really invites bad behavior,” potentially allowing city agencies to avoid holding proceedings in certain boroughs in order to make it more difficult for residents there to challenge their decisions.

Porzio rejected that interpretation, saying the landlords’ attorneys had “misconstrued” the applicable legal standard.

“The material event is not where the impact will be felt, but … where the proceedings were brought,” Porzio said while reading from his order.

The judge’s written ruling similarly concluded that the fact that Staten Island residents will be affected by the rent freeze was not enough to establish the borough as the proper location for the lawsuit.

“While the rent regulations will apply in Richmond County … neither the decision complained, nor the process undertaken to arrive at that determination, have a material connection to Richmond County,” Porizo’s ruling read.

The dispute stems from the Rent Guidelines Board’s June vote to freeze rents for two years on approximately one million stabilized apartments, a decision that delivered Mamdani one of the signature policies he had championed.

Landlords challenging the freeze maintain that the board’s process was improperly engineered to produce the result favored by the mayor and are seeking to have the decision overturned.

Friday’s ruling, however, addressed none of those allegations. It dealt only with where the case must be heard.

As a result, the city’s victory is procedural rather than a ruling upholding the legality of the rent freeze itself. The landlords will still have an opportunity to press their claims and ask a judge to invalidate the Rent Guidelines Board’s action.

Porzio said the litigation will now continue in Manhattan, where a new date is expected to be scheduled for arguments addressing the substance of the landlords’ challenge.

{Matzav.com}

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here